Hiking is almost like a sport so you need to be sure that you are well protected while you are hiking or camping. You might think that you are safe because you have expensive jacket and hiking shoes, but that is not entirely true.
You will never guess that this type of clothing will make too much difference while you are hiking. Hikers may be able to choose the weather conditions, but as we know it can change in the second.
Pouring rain can ruin your perfectly planned hiking trip. We believe that you do not want to postpone your plans and run back home just because your feet got wet. It is easy to solve this problem and the appropriate solution is to buy the best hiking socks.
|Product Name||Size||Material||Available Colors||Price|
|Darn Tough Merino Wool||Large (10-12), Medium (8-9.5), and X-Large (12.5-14.5)||67% merino wool||Oatmeal, charcoal, chocolate, black, and olive||Check price on Amazon|
|Smartwool PHD Outdoor||Medium||3% elastane, 34% nylon, and 63% merino wool||Taupe and medium gray||Check price on Amazon|
|Wigwam Pro Length||Large||1% spandex, 1% stretch polyester, 23% stretch nylon, 34% X20 acrylic, and 41% polypropylene||Charcoal||Check price on Amazon|
|Teko Light Hiking||Small||Merino wool||Charcoal||Check price on Amazon|
|Patagonia Lightweight Organic||Small, Medium, Large, and X-Large||4% spandex, 43% nylon, and 53% organic cotton||Pearl and nickel||Check price on Amazon|
|Injinji Liner Crew Toesocks||Small, Medium, Large, and X-Large||5% lycra, 20% nylon, and 75% polyester||Gray||Check price on Amazon|
|Icebreaker||LG (Women’s Shoe 9.5-11), MD (Women’s Shoe 7.5-9), Small, Medium, and Large||100% other fibers||Monsoon, blizzard heather, equinox heather, silver, and black||Check price on Amazon|
|Farm to Feet||Medium, Large, and X-Large||5% spandex, 34% nylon, and 65% merino wool||Charcoal, lead gray, and platinum||Check price on Amazon|
Things to Consider Before Buying
These are not your ordinary pair of socks and you need to know a few important things when browsing the internet for hiking socks. You cannot pick up first socks that look nice or go well with your clothes. You need to be careful when choosing your hiking socks as there are different things that you need to consider when making a purchase.
Wool socks will be your favorite hiking clothing as you will never have to worry about the state of your feet. You will have more time to focus on your hiking plans. Clean socks mean clean hiking or camping.
We are not sure if you are a fan of long songs, but there are only two choices when purchasing this type of socks. You will be able to choose between knee length and shorter socks.
It depends if you will be visiting colder areas during your hiking trips or you will stay in the much warmer areas. You might find that one is more comfortable than the other so it is up to you to choose your personal preference.
You might be used to natural materials as wool so it is hard for you to get used to synthetic materials. Natural materials are more comfortable to wear, but they might not be so strong and long lasting.
Both of these aforementioned features are important when you are going on your hiking trip. Cold is not a friend of your feet so you need to be careful to choose if you want warmer feet or long lasting socks.
Place of manufacture
This might sound like a cliché but it is important whether the product is made in the US or outside the country. If they are manufactured in the other country then you cannot be certain if the product is up to the standards.
It does not mean that everything that is produced in the US must be of the highest quality, but you need to be careful, not to purchase something that looks good but the quality is actually quite poor.
We would advise you to follow the guidelines that we have presented to you so you will be able to purchase socks that are most suitable for you. Keeping your feet warm needs to be your mission and it is as important as that predetermined hiking goal. We have prepared a list of wool socks.
Top Models on Today’s Market
The market is flooded with different brands of socks. So, you certainly need help in narrowing down the search. In light of this, we have prepared the following list of the most recommended hiking socks for the money.
Price: $20 – $30
Weight: 3.2 ounces
Dimensions: 13 x 8 x 4 inches
Specific features: For all seasons, fast drying
Best use: Everyday hiking, camping
Description: If you are a hiker then you are aware that you will need the max amount of comfort to complete your hiking successfully. There is nothing more important than the suitable pair of socks to help you cross that hard mountain trail as fast as possible.
The Darn Tough Merino Wool Socks are the best choice for this endeavor as they have the mountain as their logo. This shows you what you will be getting from these unique wool socks.
Trendy hikers would want these socks as they are fashionable, but they are also comfortable as they have cushioning that is located on the bottom of the foot that serves to provide the perfect support.
Darn Tough will improve your performance so you will be able to climb higher and reach farther distances. It also means that there is no slipping or blisters.
They are made of the best Merino wool that is known to be antibacterial and antimicrobial and Darn Tough is produced in the US, Vermont. These high quality socks will last for a life time. They have classic looks and incredible features.
Your toes might not have so much room so if you want to have more room for them than you might need to reconsider your choice.
- The 67% merino wool material offers the required heat insulation and moisture wicking capability.
- The socks’ seamless design offers not only a smooth performance, but also a comfortable, feel free of blisters, bunching, and slipping.
- The merino wool used in the construction of the socks is antibacterial and antimicrobial, ensuring that your feet are odor-free.
- The socks come with a lifetime guarantee, which is unconditional, meaning that they are durable and long-lasting.
- The socks are available in a few color options.
Related: We recommend you buy the Eedor Shoe Liners. You can use them to reinforce the performance of the socks.
Price: Approx. $30
Weight: 2.6 ounces
Dimensions: 11 x 5 x 3 inches
Specific features: Mesh ventilation, indestructa wool
Best use: Trekking, hiking
Description: Not every product has a degree, but Smartwool is the one that truly deserves it. It is like a doctor foe your tired feet. If you are looking for a versatile pair of socks, then you need to see more about Smartwool PhD Outdoor Socks.
Every hiker needs to move forward to reach the goal and so every sock needs to follow a hiker in his or her footsteps. You might be the one who does not like socks that are made of just one type of material.
If this is the case with you then you will be very satisfied when you find that Smartwool PhD is made of three different materials.
You will get the highest performance with Smartwool PhD and along with it you are getting many various features. As mentioned earlier they are very elastic and that is not all as they have four degree Elite Fit System that has two elastics for better stretch and recovery.
There is a new patent pending indestructa wool system, which gives your wool socks even more quality and long lasting durability. Mesh venting will help your feet breath better and there will be less moisture.
- The socks’ fabric is a combination of three high-quality materials (merino wool, nylon, and elastin), which makes them high performing.
- They feature mesh ventilation zones that effectively help with moisture management and temperature.
- The socks offer the best heat insulation and moisture wicking capabilities that ensure your feet stay dry.
- They are machine washable, crease-free, and dry remarkably fast compared to competing products.
- The socks are only available in a single color.
Price: Approx. $30
Weight: 6.4 ounces
Dimensions: 9.9 x 3.9 x 1.2 inches
Specific features: Machine washable, 100 percent Spandex
Best use: Winter hiking, night time camping
Description: The name says it all and we all know that Wigwams were made of the highest quality materials and the same goes for Wigwam Pro Length Socks.
Every hiker who is wearing Wigwam Pro Length Sock will be joined together with the nature and you will feel that bond growing and helping you reach your hiking goal sooner and faster. You will welcome them with open arms or better said feet.
When you are hiking elastic clothes mean a lot, then you will surely be happy that the Wigwam Pro Length Sock is 100 percent spandex. This is possible as it is made of elastic nylon (20 %) and Lycra Spandex (4%). There are many more materials that were used in manufacturing and these are: X2O Acrylic (36 %) and Olefin (40 %).
Your feet will be dry with its unique moisture control system. You are going to get an ultra-comfort to all parts of your feet. It is made easier for you as Wigwam Pro Length Sock can be washed in your washing machine. As their name suggests Wigwam are made in the USA.
- A combination of 1% spandex, 1% stretch polyester, 23% stretch nylon, 34% X20 acrylic, and 41% polypropylene form strong and durable socks.
- The socks are well-cushioned for unending comfort under the feet, especially during thru hiking.
- The instep of the socks is lightweight for improved breathability when the socks are worn for longer durations.
- They feature Ultimax moisture management technology that ensures all the moisture is removed from the feet.
- The socks are a bit tight compared to other models.
Price: Approx. $10
Weight: 2.4 ounces
Dimensions: 1 x 5 x 9 inches
Specific features: Anatomically fit, very durable
Best use: Hiking and trekking
Description: You might be a hiker who loves to go hiking during the best and the worst weather conditions. We are not sure if you were aware that there are socks, which were made just for these kinds of occasions. You will be glad that you are going to be introduced to Teko Light Hiking Socks.
These socks are perfectly suited for walking, running and hiking. You will be able to do three different activities with one pair of socks. They are not just made of Merino wool, but this Merino wool consists of really delicate Merino fibers. Merino fibers are not just here for any reason as they will dry your socks and make the moisture evaporate.
This special material will regulate the temperature so your feet will enjoy in the perfect temperature. Teko Hiking Socks anatomically fit so you won’t have a problem putting them on. You will be able to use them in any weather condition.
They are extremely comfortable and they are going to last for a very long time. Teko Hiking Socks are ultra-thin. This is the perfect combination of comfort and lightness.
- The socks are made of merino wool, which has excellent heat insulation and moisture wicking capabilities.
- They have anatomical profile, which provides a snug, seamless, and smooth fit that is comfortable to wear.
- The socks are incorporated with IMPAX zoned cushioning, a system that offers optimum comfort.
- These socks are highly versatile, thus they can be used in different conditions, including damp, wet, and cold.
- They are not available in many color options.
Related: You are also advised to buy an extra pair of socks, if you will be on the trail for more than a day. We recommend the Bridgedale WoolFusion Trail Socks or the Bridgedale WoolFusion Trail Socks.
Price: $10 – $20
Weight: 2.1 ounces
Dimensions: 7.3 x 6 x 2 inches
Specific features: Natural, lightweight
Best use: Casual hiking, casual trekking
Description: It is the time when all natural apparel does not come so often. You need to seize the opportunity and purchase a top notch all natural socks. They might look like everyday socks but Patagonia Lightweight Organic are not like your regular socks.
You will feel as comfortable as possible when you are wearing them. Their advantage is that you can wear them for three consecutive seasons (autumn, winter and spring). That is not all as Patagonia Organic Crew Sock will match every outfit that you are wearing.
You can choose between two models, i.e. two patterns; one is solid while the other is striped. That is not the only difference as they have a minor difference related to the percent of materials that were used.
Solids are made of organic cotton (53 %), nylon (43 %) and spandex (4 %) 2hile stripes have two percent less cotton that is transferred to nylon. Another big difference is that Patagonia Organic Crew Sock will reach your calf so you will be able to wear them with any kind of footwear. This will serve you as both every day and hiking socks.
- The socks’ fabric is a combination of 4% spandex, 43% nylon, and 53% organic cotton, which forms a strong and durable material.
- They are integrated with yarn content as well as strategic knitting for balancing cushioning as well as durability.
- They definitely have an ergonomic design that offers a mesh arch brace and calf height, providing you with a snug fit.
- They feature a looped lintoe design that develops the flattest and smallest seam for optimal comfort.
- The socks are a bit tight.
Related: We recommend you buy the Wigwam Ultimate Liner Socks along with the Patagonia socks. The liners should help improve the insulating abilities of the socks.
Price: $10 – $50
Weight: 7.2 ounces
Dimensions: 7 x 5 x 1 inches
Specific features: Toe socks, great moisture management
Best use: Longtime hiking, camping
Description: Not everything needs to look standard and the clearest proof for this statement is Injinji Liner Crew Toesocks. If you are a fan of regular socks, then you might find them to be to be too strange for you. The good thing is that you will be able to use them as outer socks that a you can wear them as an outer pair of socks.
You will be able to fit all of your toes in perfectly in and this will create that cozy feeling that you have always wanted. You might be a fan of different sorts of materials so Injinji Liner Crew Toesocks are made just for you. They are made of following materials polyester (75 %), nylon (20%) and Lycra (5 %).
There is no need to worry about moisture as these socks have really good moisture protection. That is not it as you do not have to worry about blisters and hot spots as Injinji Liner Crew Toesocks is going to prevent them. They are very thin, so if you are after some thick socks, then you might be unsatisfied.
- The liner fabric is made of a combination of 5% Lycra, 20% nylon, and 75% polyester, making them strong and durable.
- The liners are incorporated with an exceptionally thin five toe sleeve, which offers a protective base to be worn along with your desired hiking socks.
- The liners have a grander moisture management capability that keeps your feet dry and gets rid of skin-on-skin friction.
- They are available in more than one size, including small, medium, large, and extra-large, providing you with multiple size options.
- Getting the best fit in any size group is challenging.
Related: We recommend you buy along with these liners the Darn Tough Hiker Micro Crew Cushion Socks. These outer layer socks are comfortable and convenient.
Price: $10 – $20
Weight: 2.4 ounces
Dimensions: 8 x 4 x 2 inches
Specific features: Thermo regulation, anatomical fit
Best use: Hiking, camping
Description: Hiking is not just reserved for men, but women are willing to participate in this fun activity. There is a product that is made especially made for gentler gender. Icebreaker Women’s socks are made in a few different patterns so you will be able to combine them with various outfits.
This is not the only benefit of Icebreaker Hike Socks as they are made of merino wool. They are not just mode of a single type of fibers as the socks are made of different fibers. This makes them even more comfortable and durable.
Your toes will have an extremely comfortable touch as Icebreaker Women’s Crew Socks have an anatomical toe box. The best characteristic is that they are made of Merino wool and they have medium cushioning.
They are manufactured in the US so you can be certain that the quality is very high. The only setback would be that the socks might be too short for some women.
- The other fibers used in the construction of the socks are strong and highly durable.
- The socks are incorporated with an anatomical toe box that provides the best fit for both right and left feet.
- The crew height and medium cushioning of the socks provide the required comfort over long distances.
- They are available in five different colors and they come with a simple but accommodating size chart.
- The crew height of the socks is short.
Related: Icebreaker also sells the Icebreaker Outdoor Mid Crew Socks, which you can buy as a spare pair for long hikes.
Price: $10 – $20
Weight: 9.3 ounces
Dimensions: 12 x 8 x 4 inches
Specific features: Advanced construction, great cushioning
Best use: Trekking, hiking
Description: If you are looking to get back to the nature then you will be willing to try real hiking socks and these are the socks that will fulfill your every need. There is the reason that determines the name of this great product as it is known that farmers have to walk a lot during the day.
They are made of materials that have the highest quality and it will be hard for you to find such well-made socks. Farm to Feet Hiking Socks are made of three different materials and these are merino wool (65%), nylon (34 %) and spandex (5%). Farm to Feet Men’s Ballston are reinforced all around so be sure that they are going to last for a long time.
You will be provided with all around cushioning so it will be very comfortable and it will be hard for your feet to get wet. They are produced in the US with the best materials available. If you are looking for all around hiking socks, then be sure to check them out.
- The sock fabric is made of 5% spandex, 34% nylon, and 65% merino wool, forming a strong and durable material.
- The high merino wool content makes the socks antibacterial, odor-free, itch-free, and very effective at wicking moisture.
- The soles of the socks are integrated with bottom of foot cushioning that is very effective in impact and shock absorption during hiking.
- The full-density cushioning offers better moisture wicking and heat insulation, making them convenient for cold weather.
- The socks are a bit shorter in height.
Related: Farm to Feet also sells the Farm to Feet Jamestown Hiking Socks. You should buy the socks as a spare for long distance hiking.
The Wrap Up
You have thought that sock are not a wide subject, but I guess that there were a lot that you needed to know about hiking socks. There are different kinds of socks and it is your turn now to choose the best pair that is made just for you. But finding the best model is quite challenging, especially if you don’t know what to look for.
The buying information should help you single out the most suitable pair of socks for your intended use, including hiking, trekking, and camping. The most important features that a pair of socks has to offer you include better moisture wicking, improved heat insulation, full-density cushioning, strategic knitting, and suitable height.
Socks with such kind of features will be very comfortable to wear. You can use the list of product reviews to compare product features and performance and decide on the best model.
Was the information helpful? Were you able to buy the best pair of socks for your hiking trip? If so, please share your thoughts, concerns, and experiences with us in the comments below.