In this era of hard work and constant struggle, people get exhausted. Sydney has one of the best places to visit for an adventurous escape from this mundane life. Hiking through the Glow Worm Tunnel is a magical experience highly recommended for travel enthusiasts. The dark caverns are illuminated, and walking at night through the tunnel is a surreal experience.
Everyone who has traveled to this place has stated that it is an unforgettable journey. However, certain things must be remembered before you embark on the endeavor. Before visiting, this article will elaborate on all you need to know about the Glow Worm Tunnel.
Get To Know The Picturesque Place
Owing to the enchanting beauty of the place, the Glow Worm Tunnel is worth the popularity it has received and the hype it gets. Situated in the Willomelli National Park, the tunnel has become a famous attraction for travel enthusiasts worldwide.
Did you know the tunnel was previously used as a railway tunnel? This hypnotic tunnel was constructed during the 1900s as a section of the Newnes railway line. This railway route was used to transport oil shale from the nearby mines in the area. Who knew such a beautiful destination could have a history like this?
Before embarking on this otherworldly trip, one should know that Glow Worm Tunnel is a protected area. There are strict regulations to be followed while you walk down the trail, and every visitor needs to stay on the trail they have been told to follow. If encountered, the worms and any wild animal should not be disturbed and should be left in their own habitat.
How To Prepare For The Journey
It is usual for anyone to be enthusiastic about such a magical trip, but you must be adequately prepared before going there. The distance to cover the whole tunnel is approximately four kilometers, and it takes about one to 2 hours to walk. However, this depends on a person’s fitness level. Gathering some more information about the place is always a good idea before someone goes there. You can find here an affordable travel package for Glow Worm Tunnel here and get a clearer idea of the destination.
It is vital to wear a pair of shoes that you are comfortable walking in. The terrain has a gradual incline but is uneven and rocky. Wearing hiking boots can be an advantage and make it easier to walk.
It is highly advised that you wear appropriate clothing according to the weather. Have access to water and snacks, as the journey can get a bit tiring. Certain places on the hiking track can get steep and challenging to cross. If you want to have a comfortable hike, bring walking sticks. It gives added support and makes the hike safer and trouble-free.
The Journey To The Tunnel
This trip has no cons, even during the journey to reach the destination. Be it the morning or the evening. Both are good times to travel to Glow Worm Tunnel. It is a 2.5 hours drive from Sydney. It is a short walk to the tunnel entrance after you drive through Wollemi National Park. There is a car park nearby the historic village of Newnes. Even this village is a favored tourist spot to explore.
Even though the place can be visited at any time, it is preferred that it is explored during the day. The lush rainforests are illuminated by dazzling sunlight. One can go to the destination in their own leisure time. The glow worms look mystical at night, and the darkness creates the perfect ambiance.
Tips That Would Ensure That You Are Safe And You Enjoy The Trip
Hiking the Glow Worm Tunnel is a fantastic adventure. However, specific safety tips should be followed to have a safe and enjoyable experience:
Here are a few tips one should keep in mind:
- Have someone who would know about your trip who would not be traveling with you. Let them know when you will leave for the trip and when you will return.
- Be aware of the weather in Sydney and prepare accordingly. Dress according to the climate and carry essentials.
- It is essential to be hydrated at all times. Keep water and snacks handy during the hike. It can get tiring for some.
- Wear sturdy hiking boots with good traction, and consider bringing walking sticks for added support.
- Do not litter the place, and always respect the natural environment. If you encounter any wildlife, revert from disturbing them
- Be mindful of how you walk, as the terrain is rocky and uneven.
- You might face network problems, so mobile phones are unlikely to work.
Tips For Photography At The Glow Worm Tunnel
No one would deny that the Glow Worm Tunnel allows passionate photographers to capture spellbinding pictures throughout the hike. The way the worms glow makes the pictures taken in the darkness even more riveting.
Here are a few strategies to click stunning shots in the tunnel:
- Try to get hold of a fast lens. The tunnel is a dark place and receives very little light. This aspect makes the worms look even more eerily wonderful. However, low light conditions can be a bummer for photography. Having a camera with a fast lens ensures that it has a wider aperture to let more light in through it. You would not need to use a flash to get the perfect click.
- Always try experimenting with the settings. You never know which setting, shutting speed, or aperture is best for low-light photography. You can also regulate ISO to get different effects. A slower shutter speed will capture more light and create a dreamy effect, while a faster shutter speed will freeze the action and create a more dramatic look.
- Try capturing the environment as well. The place is not just about the glow worm but also the equally enrapturing environment. The textures and patterns of the rocks are worth a watch. Even the natural vegetation around the tunnel is beautiful enough to be photographed, framed and kept in the living room!
Who does not like going on an adventure? The Glow Worm Tunnel is a perfect one-day-trip destination, and the hike is a treat. Anyone who visits the place will enjoy the adventure to the fullest.
Be prepared with hiking gear and some minor first-aid essentials before embarking on the trip. Other than that, anyone can set sail to the place and have a gala time. The Glow Worm Tunnel is a delightful place to explore with friends or family!
LEAVE A COMMENT