Whenever stuffing the backpacks with usual household meals, preparing for the outdoor adventures, most people tend to forget or overlook the need to have the camping dessert recipes. Some view the effort as time consuming or rather infinitesimal. Having sweet, appetizing and mouthwatering desserts gives you an inspiration to plan yet another outing because, to be honest, it’s what keeps others glued to the desire to camp frequently.
Kids’ desires and enthusiasm to never be left behind when heading to camping is influenced by the delicious desserts served at camp sites. The hesitation to indulge in camping desserts can be attributed to minimal knowledge of a wide range of recipes out there. Some hate the fact that they have to spend more time preparing the desserts instead of hiking or backpacking. This shouldn’t be a problem at all. Check out our fun article on guidelines when camping with kids, it’s a great-read.
In this article, plenty of dessert recipes are given on the basis of their ease of cooking and preparation. You will now have a reason to come back or to, lure your kids to join you. But, the bigger part having these dessert recipes, is the preparation from home. Some desserts need to be well-prepared ahead of time so that your cooking time at the campsite is reduced. We will give you tips below.
Preparation for camping desserts
Preparation depends on the complexity of the dessert you spot your eyes on. Others may be fine to prepare after pitching your tent, whereas some need to be mixed before you leave. Make a checklist of the steps below:
- Prepare all your mixtures ahead of time at home and then wrap them in an aluminum foil and freeze them. It will be much better to cook them on a campfire in the wilderness rather than having to prepare from scratch the time-consuming mixtures.
- While preparing your mixtures, make sure you mix according to the recommended instructions on the packages.
- Then when heading to your camping destination, make sure you have every kitchen gadget you’d need. For example, it may be freaking to cook anything wrapped without spraying the sheet first, because the desserts are more likely to stick to the sheet. Bring the cooking spray and other toppings you might need.
- And when cooking, some desserts may negate the need to use pots or pans, and some may need only the campfire. We recommend having coal for your fire if a grill is heavy to travel with. When cooking some dessert recipes that need the roasting stick, do not leave the stick on the flame for a long time, but rather hover it until a desired golden color appears.
These steps should be enough to prepare for your camping desserts. What’s left is to skim through our handpicked desserts below to check the best for your cooking skills.
It might be challenging for an inexperienced cooker, but the instructions we will emphasize are quite in lame man’s terms. Let’s get into the dessert selections.
Camping Desserts for Outdoor Adventures
Campfire Roasted Caramel Peaches with Pecans
Roasting peaches on a campfire or, even better, a grill is an absolute breeze and quick thing. You can serve your companions in a matter of minutes. All you need to ace this seasonal dessert are the following ingredients:
- 2 ripe peaches
- A teaspoon of butter
- 2 spoons of caramel sauce
- ¼ cup pecan halves
After having these ingredients, you can follow the following instructions to have this appetizing seasonal dessert:
- If you brought the grill to camping, preheat it
- If not, then prepare your campfire using coals or any reliable woods
- Then smear butter on a 6-inch square of the aluminum foil and sprinkle the tablespoon of brown sugar or, even better, the caramel
- Spread the pecans on the caramel
- Then slice the peaches into halves and remove the seed from all the 4 halves
- Then cut down the halves to the pecans and then sprinkle the caramel sauce once more.
- Subsequently wrap the peaches with the foil and then put the dessert on the campfire wrapped or in the grill. It should take a maximum of 25 minutes for the dessert to be fully cooked.
- Then remove the dessert from the heat and open the foil to get rid of the steam
- Serve it while still warm. So put it on a plate for it to cool and for the juices to be drained.
NB: do not use the caramel sauce and the brown sugar at the same time. Because it’s scarce to have the sauce, you can replace it with the brown sugar.
Peach mallows are sweet and juicy. The pleasure of them melting in your mouth is beyond imagination. This will surely put a spark of a smile to your companions, and it takes only 10 minutes to cook it. Preparation time is approximately 5 minutes. Normally can serve one, but you can increase the quantities to serve more. The ingredients are as follows:
- A peach
- Additional toppings such as the choc chips, peanuts, strawberries, etc.
- Spoon of butter
- Teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/8 cup of mini marshmallows
The directions are as follows. But before, from your home, make sure that the ingredients are separated well in containers or packets. Beware of the peaches because they can be bruised or squished with ease. When cooking, follow the instructions hereunder:
- Cut the peach into halves
- Fill it with marshmallows and butter and then sprinkle cinnamon on both halves
- Then wrap the peach halves with the aluminum foil
- Put on the campfire for about 5 minutes
- Then serve it
Cinnamon Roasted Pears
Cinnamon roasted pears are also the quick and delicious camping recipes that will make your weekend camping splendid. To excel in this seasonal dessert, follow the instructions below:
- You must purchase two pears and slice them into halves, then remove the core.
- Smear butter on each of the halves and sprinkle the cinnamon sugar on them
- An optional topping may be added as well. These could be the chopped nuts, choc chips, granola or the toasted sunflower seeds.
- The divide the two halves of pear and wrap each with the aluminum foil.
- Cook them separately on the campfire for about 25 minutes each.
- Serve while warm
See our piece on how to make your food warm when camping to make every meal enjoyable.
Berry, Chocolate and Cake Skillet
The combination of chocolate, cake skillet and the berry is a delicious dessert to let you admire your camping days. Everyone can excel with this dessert recipe. The ingredients are as follows:
- 4 cups of fresh berries
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- ¼ cup of butter
- 2 candy bars or caramel milk
- 4 cups cubed vanilla pound
Now follow the instructions below for preparation:
- Prepare a bowl and then put fruit and sugar in it. Leave them for 10 minutes to macerate
- Make the campfire or preheat the grill
- Place the skillet on the grill and fry the cake cubes in the butter
- Remove the skillet from the grill, then sprinkle with choc pieces and fruits
- Cover the content with the foil until the choc pieces melt
It takes 5 minutes to prepare the Chocolate Fondue and 20 minutes to cook. It can serve 6 people on a camping trip. The ingredients are as follows:
- 2/3 cup of cream
- 2 spoons of pure vanilla extract
- 12 ounces of chocolate
- 1 to 2 cups of food to dip (could be fruit or marshmallows)
The instructions to cook this camping dessert are as follows:
- Firstly, you must store the cream in an insulated container from your home ahead of time. Other ingredients can be stored in separate containers
- While at the campsite, break the 12 ounces chocolate and put it in a bowl
- Boil water and pour it in the bowl to simmer the chocolate, then leave them for about 10 minutes
- Then remove the water from the top
- Pour vanilla and cream and stir the mixture
- Then dip the resulting mixture
Chocolate Banana Oat
This combination may seem weird, but it’s one of the classic and dazzling camping treats that are easy to make within 15 minutes.
The instructions to make this appealing camping dessert are as follows:
- Peel the bananas only a small strip about ¾ an inch
- Then use the spoon to remove some contents to create a small trench where you can fill the choc chips.
- Wrap the banana with the aluminum foil and then cook for about 15 minutes
- After cooking, allow the banana to cool because it will be very hot
Honey-Rum Grilled Bananas
It seems you can make a wide range of desserts with bananas. Honey-Rum grilled bananas are just some of the most delicious and mouthwatering camping desserts. To make this dessert, you need the following ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons of rum
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Vanilla ice cream
- 2 spoons of honey
- 4 unpeeled bananas
The honey-rum grilled banana is one of the most nutritional desserts. It contains 158 calories, 1g fat, 2mg sodium, 1g protein and 37g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 3g fiber). And to cook this dessert, follow the instructions below:
- Prepare the small bowl and mix rum, cinnamon and the honey.
- Then slice the banana lengthwise and do not remove the peel
- Put the bananas cut side down on the grill then cook for 3 minutes. Brush it with the mixture prepared in the bowl.
- Cover and grill them for about 5 minutes until done.
- Then serve them to 4 people
You do not need complicated utensils to have the delicious pies while camping. Campfire pies require only minimal ingredients to prepare them. That is why these pies are ideal for both the experienced and inexperienced cookers. You need the following ingredients:
- Cinnamon sugar mixture
- Bread slices
- Seasonal fruit (apple slices, peach slices, pear slices, raspberries or strawberries)
- Canned pie filling
To prepare for this season dessert, we have compiled the following instructions to make it easy for you:
- Preheat your grill or make a very hot campfire preferably with coals
- Get the sandwich iron ready and spray its insides with the cooking spray so that the dessert does not stick
- Then put the slice of bread on each side of the sandwich iron and press it against the iron
- Put fruits on the bread
- Sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture (a teaspoon on the bread as well)
- Then cover the bread using the two sides of the sandwich to make an indentation in the bread
- Remove any bread pieces that might be left hanging on the sandwich iron
- Then put the iron on the campfire to cook. It should take about 3 minutes until a golden brown color appears on the sides
- Allow the pie to cool down before you serve
You can actually make many variations of these pies using a variety of recipes. For example, you can add Nutella, peanut butter, choc chips and sliced bananas to make a sweeter campfire. Or you can make use of pizza fillings such as ham & cheese to make savory pies. There are plenty of options to enjoy your appetizing campfire pies.
NB: The sandwich iron needs to be seasoned before you use it. If you are traveling with companions, we reckon you buy extra seasoned sandwich irons. The equipment you need, includes the knife, grill/campfire and a cooking spray. For the best affordable campfire grills, check out our article – it’s a great reading material for you.
The taste of S’MORES pancakes will surely make your mornings priceless and splendid. They are made tastier by the graham cracker crumbs. Infusing them with the chocolate chips boosts the delicious taste. Even further, the marshmallow fluff syrup can be drizzled over the top of the pancake to make a complete camping dessert treat and can serve 4 people. The detailed ingredients are as follows:
- 1 cup of flour
- ½ cup of crushed Graham crackers
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1-1/4 cups of milk
- 1 spoon of baking powder
- 1 egg
- ½ cup of choc chips
And to prepare this treat, you can follow the instructions below:
- Prepare a large bowl and add flour, Graham cracker crumbs, salt and the baking powder.
- Pour in the milk
- Then beat the egg as well to add it to the bowl mixture
- Also pour the choc chips and mix everything
- Then pour ½ cup of batter in a pan and then cook until each side of the pancake turns brown in color
To make the marshmallow fluff syrup, you need 2 spoons of warm water and the 1 cup of marshmallow fluff. And to prepare it, you need another bowl in which you must mix the marshmallow fluff and warm water until the mixture is smooth. You can warm that mixture on your campfire or in a microwave at home before leaving.
Then you can sprinkle the marshmallow fluff syrup over the pancakes and serve.
Chocolate Cherry Ricotta Grilled Pizzas
Pizzas are favorite treats for many outdoor hobbyists, especially kids. Treating kids with these pizzas will be giving them hundreds of reasons to come back every time to camping. These chocolate cherry ricotta grilled pizza take only 3 minutes to prepare it and 10 minutes to finish cooking.
You can serve 8 people with these 8 mini grilled pizzas.
- Cooking spray/sunflower oil
- Whole wheat or pizza dough
- Fat free ricotta cheese
- Chopped chocolate
- Chopped nuts, pecans, walnuts or almonds
- 1 cup of cherries
- Vanilla or almond extract drops (optional)
- Vanilla or toffee Stevia drops
- Toppings can be fresh mint melted chocolate, cinnamon, or powdered sugar
To excel with this camping dessert, you can follow the instructions given below:
- Make the campfire until it is very heat or preheat the grill to high heat. But first spray the grill with the cooking spray first.
- Then prepare a bowl to mix the ricotta cheese with the extra/sweetener of your choice.
- Prepare another bowl and mix the berries, nuts and chocolate chips in it.
- Cut the pizza dough into 8 pieces and flatten it. Use brush to smear oil on each side of the pizza
- Then grill the pizza for 2 minutes. Do not cover the grill.
- Reduce the heat from high to medium and keep tossing the pizza. Then remove it from the grill.
- Add some ricotta cheese, nuts and chocolate chips then take the pizza back to the grill. This time cover the grill and wait for about 4 minutes until choc chips have melted
- You can then serve the pizza with optional toppings
Tips: Instead of cutting the dough into 8 pieces before cooking, you can cook one large pizza and then slice it after cooking. And instead of buying the pizza dough, you can make yours using the whole wheat.
To sweeten the ricotta cheese, you can top it with honey or maple syrup.
Wrapping it up
These are our top selections of camping desserts that will surely inspire you or your companion to repeat camping in a year. After reading them, you will realize that they are all easy to make, and do not need dozens of gadgets in the wilderness to prepare them. Like we reiterated, you must prepare all of these recipes at home in order to reduce the number of utensils that might be needed in the wilderness. Aluminum foil is a solution to wrap your mixtures ahead of time.
For more tips on how to make campfire dessert recipes, see our article on this popular topic.
Do you have any unique camping dessert recipe you would like to share with us? Please do so in our comments section below. If you have any questions we will be glad to respond to you.
Most campers will settle for S’Mores, but you may want some other dessert ideas, especially during thru-hiking and camping. The recipes should prove helpful.
Some of the best treats to plan for outdoors are those that need the least amount of cookware and utensil, and that’s exactly what we have provided you with. Make sure you try out the recipes.